Monday, July 29, 2013

Picture Perfect

Speak to me, say something that is going to encourage my spirit. Tell me that everything is going to be ok. Let me know that my situation is only temporary, and that because I serve a God who is able to do exceedingly, abundantly, above anything I could ever ask or think, that God is going to blow my mind. Speak to me, tell me that God's got a blessing with my name on it, and that it's coming real soon. Tell me, that in due season God's going to give me everything that I've asked him for, let me know that someone cares. Because truthfully, I need to hear it. I'm tired, sleepy, and I'm weak. I pour out all that God has given me every week into hundreds of saints who don't understand the studying, fasting, and praying aspect of ministering to God's people. Behind the scenes I'm in desperate need of a vacation. Hey, I'll even take a stay-cation as long as I can stay away for just a little while. I need a point blank refresh. 
I'm a very transparent vessel of Christ. Anytime I get a chance I help my neighbor, and I service my community. I wear several hats in a variety of places, and not many are as passionate as I am. Not many would drive the distances, and go to such great lengths that I have gone to be of service to the people of God. I do this, and I do that, and I am this, and I am that. And right now, I am worn out. 

On last week at the 51st session of the Congress of Christian Education of the General Missionary Baptist Convention of Georgia, Incorporated, I walked into Valdosta High School in Valdosta, Georgia with a spirit of great expectation. I expected the spirit of God to rest, rule, and abide in every service, class, and workshop. I expected to hear great singing, teaching, and preaching, and so I decided to bring my Canon Camera to capture "the moment". They say a picture is worth 1,000 words, and there is nothing like enjoying the gifts that God has bestowed upon your fellow siblings in Christ Jesus. So, I had my camera, but I knew that I needed to invest in some batteries because without the batteries the camera was of no real value to me. I invested in some rechargeable AA batteries so that I would not have to run around everywhere looking for a local Walmart or Convenience store. Once I purchased the batteries, my next objective was to find an outlet and charge the batteries up that they might store up enough energy to effectively power my Canon camera for long periods of time. This was only until I was able to find a few moments to revisit the outlet again and truly maximize the usage of what seemed to me like a wise investment. My Canon camera is top of the line, with a beautiful focus lens, a flash that brings out the best of every framed shot, and an air brush that brings an element of perfection to the view finder. My Canon camera is on point, but it's of no use without batteries. My Energizer bunny batteries are of the highest type, they deliver long lasting power, and durability, but they are nothing without energy. If my batteries have no energy they are not able to be used for the one purpose for which they were designed. 

If the facts were revealed you may find that you too are like the highest quality of a Canon Camera. Every fantastic gift that God has given you is to enhance the picture of life for someone who may be lost, or someone who has not yet had an opportunity to come to know Christ. You, like my Canon Camera, posses a wonderful and marvelous light that shows forth the Glory of God, and reflects his good works so that others might see you, and glorify him. You, again in likeness of my Canon Camera, were bought with a price, which is all the more reason to serve your purpose and serve it well. But, like my Canon camera, you are no good without power, specifically the Holy Spirit, to support the function of such premiere technology. For you must have power to be able to serve your purpose. You must be linked up to a store house of energy that never runs low and never runs dry, you must truly be born again.

If my Canon camera began to function as a flip phone front camera or a disposable camera there would be a few issues. The first would be that of the obvious, the Canon was built to operate, function, and take pictures as a Canon. So, for it to function as anything else is absolutely unacceptable. God designed you to be you; to function as you, and to operate as you. Thus, your desperation to be liked and fit in with everyone else is causing your spiritual batteries to go into overload. If you were built to pray and praise God, doing anything else that works against that could become very draining and difficult to facilitate. If God designed you to be a member of the Usher board, things may begin to take a turn for the not so divine if you insist on calling yourself to be President of the Early Bright Sunday Morning Choir. Scripture tells us that," I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well" (Psalm 149:19). God put thought into every aspect of who you are, and he designed you to be who you are. He has equipped you with the functions necessary for you to serve your purpose on the Earth, do it well.

Someone reading this is feeling as if they are super kind, but people are taking advantage of them. You feel as if conformity is the only option that makes sense in order for people to be as kind to you as you are to them. As time progresses you will see that either way you spin it, jealous individuals mean you no peace regardless of how nice, kind, and caring you are. You might as well swallow your pride, and be yourself. Even if that means being by yourself for a period of time. Someone else reading this, is just completely dissatisfied with life and feels as if gloomy days are all that you have to look forward to. The truth is that God answers prayer and he has given you the power to speak life into the atmosphere (according to your faith) and witness situations improve. This week God wants you to be encouraged. He did not make a mistake when he made you. He loves you so much that he sent his son Jesus to die that you might have a right to eternal life in heaven with Him (John 3:16). God cares for you so much that he rewards those who diligently seek him (Hebrew 11:6). God loves all of us so much that he grants us blessings that we're not worthy of, bestows favor that we've not earned, grants us abilities that are immeasurable and of great esteem all for his honor, glory, and praise.

So I encourage you to honor God in every way possible. In all that you do, be authentic, and wait on The Lord because when you go before God says go, or you go left when God says go right, you find yourself in a place of disobedience and scripture tells us that, "obedience is better than sacrifice" (1 Samuel 15:22). Link up to a well of energy, the ultimate store house full of love and power. Don't live a life imitating someone or a persona that you perceive to be wonderful when God has called your name, and said that you are beautiful, precious, and lovely. Be encouraged, go charge your batteries, and know that you were made Picture Perfect.

Let us bow: 

God, 

You've allowed us another opportunity to live, eat, sleep, function, and breathe and for that we say thank you. Lord you've granted us gifts and talents all while anointing us your children, and God we say thank you. Lord you loved us when we didn't love ourselves, you used us even when we did just enough to get by. God we recognize that we are who we are, because of who you are, and God we acknowledge you for who you are. Move upon our hearts that we might come to know the purpose of which you have tasked us. Move like only you can in our lives. We know that faith without works is dead, and we have faith Lord that greater is coming our way, and that you're able to fix us with just one touch. Lord we ask that you protect us like only you can, and that you keep us in the palm of your hand. Refresh our perspective and replenish our power that we might walk upright and give you all the glory that is due your name. It is in the might name of Jesus the Christ we pray, Amen. 


No comments: