Sunday, June 30, 2013

The Characteristics of A Godly Man


I am human, and it shows through my thoughts of the opposite sex. My first thoughts of a man include handsome, strong, intellectual, funny, understanding, romantic, and all of the other superficial characteristics that young girls are taught to check, check, and double check before they commit to any courtship and later on marriage.
I'm focused I know what I want, when I want it, and I have an idea of how I plan to get it done. I came to Hampton University as queen of the Miss Independent Attitude. However, in the passing years I’ve watched myself grow into Miss Never Say Never. See, part of my problem was the fact that I knew that God had built me to last, but I was not certain of whether or not he built someone to weather the storms of life and ride with me through the journey. Honestly, I got sick of the worldly men. Yeah you know them; the saved, sanctified, and filled with self type dudes. The type that only seek a woman to be their trophy wife. The one that views everything as a competition even in church. Yep! I'm not that old, but life hasn't been a smooth sail so I know quite a few things. So, then what's left? Some may say that there are plenty of good men out there, but what good is that if he's not who God has for me? That's very important to me because no matter how wonderful he and I are individually it means nothing if God has not ordained it to be so. So I accepted the challenge of my mentor to research biblically God's design of a Godly man. I must admit, my thoughts were along the line of really, are you kidding me? Why? But, The Lord in his infinite wisdom disciplined my thoughts immediately, and showed me myself sitting a car, with a GPS in hand, a location in mind, but I lacked the address. Simply put, the bible is a road map with instructions and directions that cover every issue of life even down to the seemingly most personal of matters, even significant others. After searching, and praying God revealed wonderful things through his word. For some of us this may be a confirmation, an affirmation of what you know to be true. For others of us this is a call to really reevaluate a few things, that we may soon find ourselves and our relationships in alignment with the word of God.


1. A Godly Man is a man who reflects the image of God. Scripture says, "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness...."(Genesis 1:26). We were all designed to reflect God's image spiritually. Thus, a woman should seek a man who reflects God's love, compassion, and peace through his words, deeds, and actions.

2. A Godly man must be a man of God. A man who acknowledges God just for who he is. A man who is not afraid to praise God, and live a life of worship. A man who is honest with himself and is therefore honest with others. One may ask, how do you really know if he is a man of God? Scripture instructs us to, "believe not every spirit, but try the spirits to see whether they are of God...(1 John 4:1).

3. A Godly man loves God (Luke 10:27), and lives a life of consistency. How can your man love you correctly, if he does not love God first? Some of us have a twisted perception of what love is to begin with. Love is not verbal or physical abuse, love is not someone who treats you as if you're worth nothing, but makes up for the bad times by showering you with gifts. Jesus is love, and if you start there everything else will work itself out. The young man in your life may not be perfect, he may not say all of the right things, but he should make a significant effort to be who God designed him to be. He should seek to please God in everything he does. The Godly man is one with a made up mind, who acknowledges the fact that there is only One God who is the Father of all people. In fact, scripture says,"No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other" (Matthew 6:24).

4. A Godly man is always looking to Grow. Growth and adaptation are necessary for living. God did not design him to stay your boyfriend forever. In fact, neither the term boyfriend or girlfriend is scripturally based. God instructs, "Husbands, love your wives" (Ephesians 5:25), and if you are in a relationship that is uncompromisingly stagnant, it may be time to revisit a few decisions.

5. A Godly man is a transparent man who finds his strength through Christ Jesus. He finds himself voluntarily willing to do whatever God requires of him, by sowing good seeds, and reaping the harvest. Scripture says,"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness" (2 Corinthians 12:9).

Sisters, the real problem is that too many of us call ourselves helping God. We already have in mind who we want God to set aside for us. However, in all realness, God does not need our help. In fact, he said in his word,"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end" (Jeremiah 29:11).

Desperation can be troublesome too. When you get to the point where you are settling for any and every young man who looks and sounds good just because everyone else around you seems as if they are just so deep in love, you have officially reached a dangerous place. Don't practice wanting what others have. Instead, just wait for what God has for you. For some of us, God hasn't bestowed upon us that Godly man because we act as if we are just too busy for God. If you can't find time to pray, study your word, and do the work of Christ, surely you're too busy and won't have time to cultivate a relationship with someone else.

Ladies, many of us are in search of someone to occupy a space in our lives, yet we've not even given our whole selves to Christ. Some of us are spending so much time looking for superficial things such as texting buddies, late night phone boos, and twitter hubbies, that we don’t have time to earnestly seek God for the desires of our hearts. Why look for someone to validate you, when Christ already told you in his word that you were, "bought with a price" (1 Corinthians 7:23). Women, know your worth for what the Lord says it is. Then, when seeking a man, seek THE man for guidance in your choices.

The question now becomes, Can God trust you to be a good steward of what he has for you? Sometimes we don't receive the things that we ask for simply because we are not spiritually mature enough to handle the blessing. Remember even when God allows that special Godly man to come into your life it's not grounds for bragging, but it means that God has called you to collectively work as a team for his glory.

Let us bow:

Lord I am a young person that has made the mistake of looking for love in all of the wrong places, and for all of the wrong reasons, and Lord I ask that you forgive me. I have used text messages, phone calls, Skype video chats, and word of mouth to validate the worth that you had already bestowed upon me. Lord help me to realize that your love is sufficient, because you are love. Before I ask you for the man of my dreams, I ask that you prepare me, and fix me that I may be ready when you send whoever it is that you have for me my way. Lord help me to realize that this empty feeling that no human can feel, this empty feeling that no man can feel is so pertinent because it is the space that has been reserved for you all along. So God I invite you into my heart and into my life have your way like only you can. I hand over that independent spirit to be wholly dependent on you. I hand over my trust issues as I trust you to work this out, and make things ok. Lord move in my relationship that it may reflect your Glory and your love. We submit ourselves to you God. We give ourselves away so that the work of your hand may show itself mighty and that you may show yourself strong in a world full of disarray. Take us back to your original intent, allow us to be and love who it is that you designed us to be, that we might love others, and it not be in vain. Bless us and keep us in the mighty name of Jesus the Christ we pray, Amen.



No comments: