Monday, January 6, 2014

Built to Last

Everything seems too complicated, too many trials and test are coming at me all at the same time, and I'm overwhelmed. It wasn't as simple as I thought it would be. I crossed the threshold of a new year and my problems and issues followed right behind. The temptations and bad situations that I thought would finally leave me alone have not, and it bothers me. I wanted to come into the New Year with a new groove and new moves, but life lately seems to be on master repeat. My burdens seem so heavy that I find it difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I know that God is real, but it seems as if he's ignoring me. I try to keep my head up in the midst of my trials because I know that so many others look up to me. I do my best to represent God to the best of my abilities, but the light inside of me is becoming more and more dim. I'm the friend that everyone calls when they're down or hurt, I'm the friend that people call when they need some advice, I'm the friend that is forever offering a helping hand and a shoulder to cry on, but right now I have nothing left. I'm so broken that I feel empty, and incapable of tears because my spirit is scarred. Scarred from a past that I've yet to heal from and people in my life who continue to use me. I'm scarred by my parent who had little to no faith in my ability to succeed and although I was once resilient and relentless, now I'm fragile and beat.

At an early age we were all introduced to pain. Whether it was through the experience of an absentee parent, or failing off of a bike, pain is pain. Regardless of whether or not we really understood the debt of our pain, we knew that it hurt. We understood that pain was not a feeling of comfort and peace, so we tried our best to escape it. Some of us were able to locate the nearest band-aid and watch closely as the problem began to heal on it's on, while others of us did our best to ignore the scar hoping that it would eventually go away. Those of us who properly addressed the discomfort found ourselves with a fairly healed wound, while those who did not found themselves with a problem more dynamically intricate and complicated.

Scripture says,"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit,"(Psalm 34:18). An open and unkept wound has always taken longer to heal. It has always caused more problems and led to more issues than what they're worth. Wounds make us push the people who love us away. Open wounds can sometimes push us to a place of paranoia and our insecurities can begin to get the best of us. However, open wounds can also push us to do our best to find comfort in the pain. Either way, after all of these years, you're still reminded of the hurt from way back when.

We think that we're saving the world by trying to solve other peoples issues, but can't find peace because of what's going on inside of us. Some of us have a solution to everyone else's problem, but can't even seem to be able to sort out our inner issues. The issues that we lie to ourselves about. The boyfriends that we told ourselves that we were over and the absentee father who we try to pretend did not exist. We know how to do everything, but make our problems go away. God says that there is a solution. Romans 8:18,"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." When we allow God to take control, he's able to turn those open wounds into battle scars. Scars that would give us the power to love on those who hurt us and forgive those who mistreated us. Those battle scars help to toughen our skin and the little things that once seemed like big deals become in able to keep us from dreaming big dreams. Psalms 147:3 tells us that,"He heals the brokenhearted And binds up their wounds." Those battle scars move us to a place where the world no longer seems to be on top of us taking all of the life and energy out of us. Battle scars remind us of the fact that (although we've been through the storm and the rain) God is able to deliver us from situations that seem impossible. That he's able to heal us from what doctors may have diagnosed as an incurable disease. Battle scars remind us of the fact that although we've come a long way there's still a long way to go, but it's worth the journey because of the great reward awaiting us in heaven. Battle scars remind us of the fact that, with faith in God, we can make through anything. Battle scars remind us of the fact that God loves us in such a way that he would never leave us or forsake us, and that if we call on his name, he will come to our rescue. Battle scars are a constant reminder of the fact that God is always worthy of the praise and the honor for not only did he build us to live; he built us to last.


Let us bow:
Heavenly Father,

Many of us are tired and we feel broken. We're discouraged even though the New Year just began and so we ask that you move on our hearts that we might be apart of the glorious work that you are doing even now in 2014. Father we honor you for we know that you are all powerful and so we ask that you heal all of our wounds that we might be able to move forward in you. Guide us that we might be able to make better decisions and 2014. Surround us with people who will care for and about us, help us to be able to discern whether or not people have our best interest at heart, keep us in the palm of your mighty hand. Protect us Lord and give us the strength to keep our head up and walk forward in you as you have called us to do, give us the courage we need to continue standing on your promises, have your way God like only you can, for it is in the name of the Christ we pray, Amen.

No comments: